Friday, March 02, 2007

Gadget Alley

It's been about 5 days since my power supply went. I have some feeling of loss; a sense that something is missing. It is actually funny but I had become slave to the grind. A helpless soul only made one through my HP Pavillion Notebook.

And since 5 days have gone by I have started a new love affair; nothing to put my marriage in jeopordy - just a little thing on the side. It is white, 12" wide and is called a Mac. Yep the backup I brought out here to the heat of India is in use, and until my 17" friend returns to the call of duty I am getting closer everyday to the little iBook that could.

I never thought I would like it, and when I first started it up I cringed with distaste at the pretty white keys and the smooth curves on the body of this G4. The keys felt funny, the OS is not windows. This is OS Ten. And after 5 days, I know where to find the files I save. I know where to find the notepad and the network settings. I feel like that sense of security I have with windows is not there yet. But I could get it.

I tried to use HP to find a new power supply. I called and called and called and called. I went from support center to support center; from USA to Canada to UK to South Africa to Dubai to India. I got nowhere. USA only ships to themselves or to Canada; Canada only ships to Canada. So its 10 days plus the time to ship to India from some lucky friend in Canada. All other sites don't have any in stock; and were't about to bring one over the ocean for me. India doesn't sell the 17" models, which means I can't get replacement parts for one, I think it's because they are all too big to be carried by these 120lb locals.

I have a friend at work who knew a place called Gadget Alley. I decided to give it a shot.

So my trip to Gadget Alley was awesome. It is an area of Chennai where you can get just about any electronic device, and it was soo busy I was in awe of the place. I didn't have my camera, but I will go back and camera will be there to preserve and share the memory.

I went with Rajesh; an IT guy on the team from Santec. He told me he has a guy there, and we went to see his guy. Once we made our way to his 'shop' I was welcomed, we sat together behind the counter and had a tea. This was big. To get a tea and sit behind the counter was big.

I told him my story, of loss and pain. Of my 180W power adapter that blew and how HP hasn't been able to find one anywhere this side of the continent. Of course I could ship it from Canada or from USA to Canada to India; but I wanted to try and get it here first. Gadget Alley was the contingency plan, since it seemed to have about everything and everywhere else was failing.

So 'guy' put down the empty tea cup and got one of his guys to take the power supply and seek. He was back in about 15 minutes; a little Tamil conversation; and he went out again. I was told that so far nothing but he is going to check some more stores.

Seeker guy comes back in another 15. Tamil talking. Head bobbling. Shop guy says no one has one, but he will fix it. I am 99% sure I can do it he says; and if not we will order one and within 10 days you will have it.

Done. Do it. Make it so. Take er up Scotty.

I tell him OK, see what you can do. I will see you Friday afternoon then? And Rajesh tells him over 'Friday. See you Friday.'

Today is Friday, and I am Mac'n it up from home. Tomorrow - he said give him until tomorrow. So I am giving him until tomorrow to deliver a fixed power supply - or else I will have 10 more days to fall in love with a Mac.

Peace
DM

No comments: